APNA APRN Council
APNA members must log in
|List of Council Members|
The mission of the APNA APRN Council is to unify the voices of and advocate for Psychiatric-Mental Health Advanced Practice Nurses regarding issues related to practice, education, administration, and research.
- Respond in a timely manner to issues related to practice, education, administration, and research that affect the PMH-APRN.
- Collaborate with the APNA Institute for Mental Health Advocacy on issues as needed.
- Collaborate with the APNA Board of Directors as directed.
- Collaborate with the APNA Research Council as needed.
APRN Council members recognize current issues facing PMH-APRNs and will continue to:
- Monitor and advocate for the care of the mentally ill in any setting, meeting the acuity of the patient with expertise of the care delivered.
- Monitor and advocate for PMH-APRNs to remain active in care delivery and planning across the nation and beyond.
- Monitor and advocate for education of future PMH-APRNs to insure that the needs of the mentally ill patient will be met by those educated to do so.
- Work with the Institute for Mental Health Advocacy to protect and produce legislation to promote the above.
APRN Council Update:
Advanced Practice Psychiatric Nurses Legislative Update: State of the States, 2010
Leslie G. Oleck, Angela Retano, Christine Tebaldi, Teena M. McGuinness, Steven Weiss, Julie Carbray, Laura Rodgers, Emily E. Donelson, Lisa Lynn Ashton, Darcy Koehn, and Patricia McCoy
Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association 2011 17: 171-188
This article provides an update regarding individual state legislation for advanced practice psychiatric nursing, building on previous briefings. Specific attention is given to independent versus collaborative practice regulations, titling, and prescriptive authority. There is review of contemporary issues and focus on scope and standards of practice, workforce data, certification, and advanced practice regulatory models.
Advanced Practice Psychiatric Nurses Legislative Update - download a pdf of this article (members only)