The Psychiatric Nursing Voice
APNA Members' Corner
: Lyndsay Hill-Curran
: 470 new members since October!
Happy Holidays, APNA members! We’ve worked hard and accomplished a lot in 2012 so please enjoy a safe, pleasant and relaxing end to the year. Since this is my first column as APNA President I’d like to talk a little about my theme, which is “Leading change, advancing mental health.” ()
Member Profile: Lyndsay Hill-Curran
Earlier this month Lyndsay Hill-Curran enjoyed a special Indianapolis Colts game. Nominated by her husband to receive recognition from the Colts Angels Anthem Program, Lyndsay was recognized on field for her extensive involvement in the community, which includes serving as President of the APNA Indiana Chapter this past year as well as volunteering weekly at the Indiana Women's Prison. It was the perfect way to honor an avid Colts fan for her extensive community service! ()
Research Grants: Announcing the 2013 APNF Research Grants Program
The American Psychiatric Nursing Foundation recently announced its research grants program for the 2013 year. Up to five (5) individual grants of up to $5,000 will be awarded to worthy new researchers. Submit an application by February 18, 2013 to be considered!
Annual Conference: Recap, Survey, & Online Poster Gallery
We had a great time at the APNA 26th Annual Conference in Pittsburgh! Thanks to all of the over 1200 presenters and attendees for your part in making the conference a success - check out the pictures . If you were unable to attend the conference, do not worry, sessions will be soon available in the APNA eLearning Center as podcasts and you can view the Poster Presentations in the Online Poster Gallery! In the meantime, here's a quick recap of what happened...()
Invitation to Review Draft Scope & Standards
Over the past year, a joint task force of APNA and ISPN members has worked on examining and updating the Scope & Standards. The document is now being made available to the public for comment. We invite you to review the draft and submit your feedback via our online form. Your feedback will be carefully reviewed and integrated as appropriate. All comments must be submitted by January 26, 2013.
APNF: Special Message from Grayce Sills
I need your help! The APNF is continuing the fundraising campaign we began at the 2012 Annual Conference in Pittsburgh. If every member contributed “a dime a day, two nickels or 10 pennies a day” - an annual contribution of $36.50 - we could make a significant impact on APNA and future initiatives benefiting our profession. This effort could yield a little breathing room for the Foundation…we could fund a History of APNA, up the Annual APNF Research Grants and make a compelling case for external support from industry and other organizations, plus other initiatives....()
JAPNA: Call for papers
The Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association is inviting papers for a focused issue of the journal that focus on a range of topics related to the emotional and behavioral health of members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) communities. Deadline for Submission: February 15, 2013 |
LACE: A Message from the APNA President
APNA has worked with other nursing specialties to develop the APRN Consensus Model and the elements of it known as LACE (Licensure, Accreditation, Certification and Education). We continue to attempt to keep the membership informed as well as providing opportunities for input. We are aware of concerns and angst over this matter. ()
Webinars on Upcoming CPT Code Changes
We recently emailed you about the webinars being prepared by APNA in collaboration with ANA to help psychiatric-mental health nurses prepare for the changes to the AMA Current Procedural Code (CPT) and the associated relative values used by the CMS in setting reimbursement fee schedules. We are pleased to let you know that these webinars are now available in the APNA eLearning Center – free to both members and nonmembers!
- : Person-First Language Bibliography and Resource List provided by the Recovery Council
- : Two informational resources from the PTSD Alliance, Defense and Veterans Brain Injury Center Winter Webinar Series - Hot Topics in Traumatic Brain Injury, Report Briefs - Behavioral Health Issues Among Afghanistan and Iraq U.S. War Veterans and Substance Use Disorders in the U.S. Armed Forces
- : New funding opportunities posted
- : 2012 NSO Risk Management Reports for RNs
- : New NSO Risk Management Reports for NPs
- : National Council Behavioral Health World Series Webinars
- : New Rule on dispensation of buprenorphine for opioid dependence, two research updates from AHRQ - offlabel use of atypical antipsychotics and prescription of second-generation antidepressants for adults with depression, FDA update on Budeprion XL 300mg
- : New discount for members! 35% off subscription to Journal of Psychosocial Nursing and Mental Health Services
- : SAMHSA Podcast: Cultural Awareness: Children and Youth in Disasters Podcast
- : ONDCP's National Prescription Drug Abuse Prevention Plan