Thank you for presenting a poster at the APNA 29th Annual Conference! Here are the detailed notes from the Poster Presenter Information Call that took place on Wednesday, July 29th at 2pm Eastern.
Poster Size and Planning
- Posters will be on 4 feet tall x 6 feet wide boards.
- Recommendations for poster size: 3' tall x 5' wide, 3.5' tall x 5' wide, and 4' tall x 5' wide are the most common. This allows a little extra space on the board for posting up business cards, abstracts & objectives for people to take with them, extra references, etc.
- You should include some references on your poster itself, but depending on how many you have, you could also have a separate sheet that you include with your poster.
- Push pins will be provided.
- There will be no tables or chairs.
- Posters should be printed beforehand and then brought with you to the conference. Many poster presenters roll the poster up and put it in a traveling tube to transport it on the airplane.
- Note: Because it is to be attached to the board with push pins, your poster should not be printed on foam board or anything too thick to roll up. Otherwise the pins won't be able to get through it to attach to the board.
Presentation Guidelines and Poster Tips
The following sections of the Presenter Guidelines are relevant to poster presenters:
Poster Templates in Powerpoint
- This site has templates available for free – http://www.posterpresentations.com/html/free_poster_templates.html. They include the size for which the template is designed (for example, 42” Tall x 60” Wide, which is a great size for our boards).
- Order your poster to be printed online or have it printed at a store. Be sure to contact the store ahead of time to make sure they are able to print in the size you need.
- Remember to cite the above website if you use a template!
Guides for Poster Creation
- This site goes through recommendations for planning, focus, layout, headings, graphics, text, colors, etc.: http://www.ncsu.edu/project/posters/CreatePosterOverview.html. Use the menu at the left to click into the different sections. If you use the information on this website, be sure to include the citation in your references: www.ncsu.edu/project/posters.
Disclosures / Presentation of Content
- Present current, clinically relevant, and evidenced-based information to meet your stated educational objectives.
- Provide a balanced view of the topic area; be objective when reporting research; and disclose off-label use or potential of off-label use of drugs/products where applicable.
- Discuss the safety and adverse effects of any drugs/products presented.
- Inform APNA if you anticipate new applications or changes to the FDA status of a presented product which may impact the planned content.
- Support assertions and clinical studies, theories, models, etc. with references. Presenters are responsible for the accuracy and completeness of references. Citations, citations, citations!
- Obtain permission to reproduce any copyrighted materials. This includes any materials outside of the public domain: graphs, charts, logos (including hospital or university logos), screenshots, cartoons, audio, movie clips, etc. Cite permission on your poster and provide copies of correspondence granting permission where applicable.
- You cannot use a university or hospital logo on your poster without providing documentation of the university’s/hospital’s permission. You can obtain permission by contacting your marketing department (emails are fine!). You can simply forward the email to Lisa Nguyen (Lnguyen@apna.org) with the following information:
- Primary presenter full name
- Poster title
- What the permission is for (even if stated in the email)
- Additional copyright information can be found in the chart in the Presenter Guidelines.
Poster Pdf / Online Gallery and Judging
Online Poster Gallery: Abstracts of poster presentations given at the conference will be published in the Online Poster Gallery unless otherwise indicated by the presenter. Poster presenters will be asked to upload a pdf of their poster to be included in the gallery for attendee access during and after the conference. The inclusion of a poster pdf in the gallery is optional – it is not required for presentation at the conference, though highly recommended.
- Instructions for uploading your poster pdf will be sent in late August. There will be a quick turn-around time to upload your pdf once the announcement is sent, so please have it ready for the deadline. The Poster Pdf Upload Deadline is September 21, 2015.
Poster Judging: First and second place recognition will be awarded to posters in the categories of administration, education, practice, and research. One student poster will also be recognized. Poster judges will access the poster pdfs prior to the conference for scoring purposes.
- Presenters will need to upload their pdfs by September 21, 2015 in order to be included in the poster judging process. The inclusion of a poster pdf in the gallery is optional – it is not required for presentation at the conference. However, your poster will not be included in the judging process if you do not meet the poster pdf upload deadline.
- Judging Timeline: The plan is to announce the poster winners in mid October, before the conference. Winning posters will be announced to the membership via email and the website, as well as posted on-site with a ribbon on their boards when the Poster Presentation hours open on Thursday afternoon. Presenters of the winning posters will receive a certificate acknowledging their award, which they can retrieve at the Registration Desk.
- Judging Criteria: Criteria are different for Administration, Education, and Practice versus Research. Your poster will be judged in the category selected when your abstract was submitted.
Presentation at the Conference
- This year’s posters will be set up in a Poster Presentation area of the Exhibit Hall. Posters will be open for viewing during the following times:
- Thursday, October 29: 1:30pm - 5:00pm
- Friday, October 30: 10:00am - 12:30pm
- All posters will be up for the entirety of the poster presentation time periods on both Thursday and Friday, but you will only be asked to stand with your poster on Thursday from 2:00pm – 3:00pm. However, you are welcome to stand with your poster for as long as you like during the poster presentation times.
- Your poster needs to be up for the entire time. This means that you will need to register for the full conference and/or arrange for someone else to put up or take down your poster at the designated times if necessary.
- Per the Call for Abstracts: “As posters are available for viewing on multiple days, poster presenters must register for the full conference.”
Poster Presenter Check-in & Set-up
Note: This is in addition to the general APNA Annual Conference Registration Check-in. All attendees will need to first check in for the conference before checking in as a poster presenter for set-up.
Check-in & Set-up times:
- Wednesday, October 28th, 4:00pm – 5:30pm and
- Thursday, October 29th, 8:00am – 9:30am
**All posters must be set up by 9:30am on Thursday.
There will be a table set up near the Exhibit Hall, Poster Entrance, where you will check in with a volunteer or APNA staff member. We will email you before the conference to tell you exactly where the check-in table is going to be located.
When you come to check in, provide your name plus the name of the primary presenter listed for the poster (if you are not the primary presenter). You will be directed to where your assigned board is located.
Take-down time: Friday, October 30th, 12:30pm - 2:30pm
- Posters not taken down by 2:30pm may be thrown away.
- Note: The take-down time is during a Product Theater Lunch, so you may need to excuse yourself for 10 min to go grab your poster, etc. Just something for you to keep in mind for planning purposes!
If you are a student (or if you are presenting your poster on your thesis or capstone project), please respond to Lnguyen@apna.org by August 7th with “STUDENT” and indicate the type of program (ex: “PhD” or “DNP”).
Registration / Housing
- The Presenter Registration Deadline is September 15, 2015. If you haven’t registered yet, be sure to do so soon! All presenters (including any co-presenters) must register for the conference, and only primary presenters will be able to register using the discount code that was emailed on 6.18.15. All other presenters will register online without a code. Primary presenters – if you need the information re-emailed, please contact Lisa Nguyen at Lnguyen@apna.org.
- Registration is completed on the registration website, then you’ll be able to make your hotel reservation by clicking on the Book Hotel button on the confirmation page or in the confirmation email you receive when your registration is processed.
- When your housing reservation is completed in this system, you will receive a hotel reservation acknowledgement email. Please use the acknowledgement number listed in this email when making any changes to your reservation. If you would like to purchase Disney products and passes, please contact our Registration and Housing Company at (888) 408-8191 or email at APNA@conferencedirect.com, and they can provide you with your Disney-specific hotel confirmation number.
- Your housing reservation will be held in a database until approx. 2 weeks before the conference, when it will be released to the hotel. You will not receive any confirmation from Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort directly until that time.
Poster Presentations Evaluations
Each poster will be listed in the evaluation booklet and on the online evaluations website with one learning objective. The poster will be evaluated based on that objective. Example screen shots from last year:
Poster Evaluations Listing
Contact Hours Determination
Attendees will complete evaluations for the posters that they spend time viewing, then will record their contact hours earned based on the amount of time spent. There is no requirement that indicates the number of poster evaluations needed in order to achieve a certain number of contact hours. Quality wins over Quantity!
Questions about the conference or presenting?
Lisa Nguyen – Lnguyen@apna.org and 571-533-1924
Pat Black – firstname.lastname@example.org and 571-533-1922
Leslie Hoopengardner – Lhoop@apna.org and 571-533-1934
ConferenceDirect – APNA@conferencedirect.com and 888-408-8191