APNA Needs Your Help and Direct Involvement.
Educate stakeholders on their obligation to adequately address mental illness and substance use disorders in health care policies. On March 14th, 2017, the APNA Board of Directors approved this position paper, which speaks to mental health and the current health care policy debate. Help us spread the word about the important and foundational role that mental health plays in overall health by contacting stakeholders and sharing the message. Here's how:
Contact your Senator
- Click Here
- Use the drop down menu in the top right to select your state.
- Select your Senator and click on their contact link.
- Enter your information, copy the below text and paste into the message field (edit as you wish), and hit send/submit.
Contact your Representative
- Click Here
- Enter your zip code in the box in the top right corner and hit go.
- Select your Representative and click on their contact link.
- Enter your information, copy the below text and paste it into the message field (edit as you wish), and hit send/submit.
My name is [name] and I am one of your constituents. I am concerned about the health care debate, particularly with regards to proposed mental health and substance use policies. I am therefore sharing with you a new position statement from the American Psychiatric Nurses Association. It offers our perspective as psychiatric-mental health nurses on how mental health and substance use disorders are currently treated in this arena, as well as recommendations for proactive policies. You can view it at http://www.apna.org/mental-health-position.
[add personal comment here if desired]
I am available to you to discuss these issues further. I urge you to help ensure universal access to affordable services that promote mental health through prevention, recognition and adequate care and treatment.
Spread the word on Social Media
Sample messages for you to take and make your own:
Facebook: I am a psychiatric-mental health nurse and I stand with the American Psychiatric Nurses Association for proactive health care policies that adequately address mental illness and substance use disorders. http://www.apna.org/mental-health-position
Fact sheets, messages, images, and more coming soon!