The secretary prepares and keeps board meeting minutes and sees that all meeting notices are given in accordance with the bylaws or as required by law; serves as custodian of the corporate records and of the seal of the association; and in general performs all duties incident to the office of the secretary and such other duties as may be assigned by the president or by the board.
The secretary serves for one two year term.
In addition to the responsibilites of all members of the board, the secretary
- Prepares and keeps board and membership meeting minutes and sees that all meeting notices are given.
- Serves as custodian of the corporate records and of the seal of the association.
- Works in partnership with the executive director on issuing a call for agenda items and reports for board business meetings.
- Ensures meetings are conducted according to Roberts’ Rules.
- Supports achievement of the Annual Board Work Plan.
- In collaboration with the executive director, models the partnership philosophy between board and staff.
- Prepares and presents periodic reports to the membership as needed.
- Maintains a current knowledge of global trends and developments influencing APNA and all APNA programs, products and services
- Represents association as assigned
- Avoids conflicts of interest and promptly notifies executive director if a conflict arises.
- Must be a voting member in good standing for at least one year immediately prior to assuming office.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and previous APNA volunteer leadership service are preferred.
- Knowledgeable about global trends and issues influencing the association and the association’s programs, projects and services
- Experience with strategic planning and budgeting
- Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills
- Informal and formal leadership experience
- Participative leadership style
- Demonstrated problem solving and ethical decision making experience
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Conflict resolution skills
- Ability to work with diverse styles and personalities and facilitate teamwork and consensus
- Works well under pressure and is good on his/her feet
- Experience mentoring future leaders
- Demonstrates flexible work habits
- Willing to commit the time and skills necessary to fulfill the expectations of the role.
- Sets and maintains high standards for personal performance
- Available to travel to APNA board meetings, annual conference and other APNA or allied organization meetings as may be required.