APNA members must log in
|List of Council Members|
Recovery Steering Committee
Mission, Vision, Core Value Statements
To have recovery inspired trauma-informed systems of care as best practice for every psychiatric mental health nurse in all treatment settings where individuals experiencing a mental health or substance abuse illness can heal and grow.
To have psychiatric mental health nurses as a full partner with stakeholders in the creation and maintenance of recovery oriented systems of care.
- Recovery is possible for individuals with mental illness.
- It is important to empower individuals to achieve recovery.
- Hope is an essential component of recovery and includes the belief that a meaningful life is possible.
- Empowerment offers people the tools to help themselves.
- Using person-first language demonstrates respect for all individuals.
- Mental health recovery is a journey of healing and transformation enabling a person with a mental health problem to live a meaningful life in a community of his/her choice while striving to achieve his/her full potential (SAMHSA).
To educate and empower psychiatric mental health nurses in varied environments and at all levels of practice to utilize recovery oriented principles and promote recovery cultures.
- Promote the use of recovery focused/person first language in all care settings, academic environments, governmental agencies and professional organizations.
- Define “recovery” and “recovery-focused care in the context of culture, environment, education and special populations.
- Seek feedback from all stakeholders engaged in care and academic settings when in workgroup and delivery products.
- Examine recovery-focused resources.
- Appraise recovery-focused interventions.
- Develop strategies to influence psychiatric–mental health nurses to move toward recovery- focused care.
- Develop and deliver guidelines and resources for environmental, educational, and population workgroups.
Council Meeting Premises
- We use person first language.
- We open our contribution with our name and close with “thank you.”
- We spell out and define acronyms as needed.
- We honor diverse experience and perceptions.
- We endeavor to hear and validate all remarks and observations.
- We monitor our own input to allow all persons to contribute to the conversation in the time we have.