Specific Core Nursing Content # 6: Patient Care Roles
Clinical Learning Outcomes
Demonstrate ability to effectively teach patients experiencing psychiatric disorders and their families.
Plan and evaluate for a continuum of care that provides safety, structure, and support for patients with psychiatric disorders.
Evaluate the continuum of care for a patient experiencing a psychiatric disorder.
Refer patients and families to advocacy organizations.
Assist patients to access self-help groups.
Classroom Teaching Strategies
- Review H. Peplau (1952) Six sub-roles of the psychiatric nurse which can be assumed at various times during a therapeutic relationship. These are: Nurse teacher, Mother surrogate, Technical nurse, Nurse manager, Socializing agent, Counselor/therapist
- Principles of case management.
- Principles of teaching and learning as applied to client education.
- Devising and using a teaching plan.
- Assessing the educational needs of clients.
- The use of role play, simulation.
- Journal articles to supplement text:
- Koivunen, M., Huhtasalo, J., Makkonen, P., Valimaki, M., Hatonen, H. (2012). Nurses' roles in systematic patient education sessions in psychiatric nursing. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 19 (6), 546–554.
- Herrick, C. A. & Bartlett, R. (2004). Psychiatric nursing case management: past, present, and future. Issues in Mental Health Nursing, 25(6), 589-602.
Clinical Teaching Strategies
- Discuss the use of patient advocacy groups with clients
- Devise teaching plans for teaching two clients about their medications
- Identify local resources for supporting clients with PMH problems
- Discussion with clinical case managers
- Shadow a Case Manager or Intensive Case Manager
- Write report focusing on client issues that are continually raised at treatment team meetings, such as patient requests that their medication be discontinued.
- Role play or Standardized Patient exercise examining issues related to patient advocacy situations
- Plan workload for nurse with a defined case load.
Assignments with Rubrics
- Devise teaching plan about medications for two clients
- Report on issues raised by clients during treatment team meetings
Clinical Skills Checklist
- Workload planning for case load management (Standard 4. Planning)
- Develop and deliver teaching plan for client (Standard 5B. Health Teaching and Health Promotion)