Continuing Education Information
- Describe risk and protective factors related to suicide.
- Demonstrate self-awareness of emotional reactions, attitudes, and beliefs related to previous experiences with suicide.
- Perform an independent risk assessment for self-directed violence (nonsuicidal and suicidal) through use of a case study example based on competency based education.
- Develop a collaborative safety plan with the patient/family based on competency based education.
- Identify environmental hazards based on the unit and personal levels.
Participants who complete all the following requirements will be able to earn 6.5 contact hours:
- Complete the1.25 hour online Module 1 and provide proof of completion.
- Attend and actively participate in all 5.25 hours of the live training, including select interactive exercises.
- Complete the on-site skills assessment exam.
- Complete the online post-training self-assessment and overall evaluation.
All of the above requirements must be completed in order to earn contact hours. No partial contact hours will be awarded.
Continuing Nursing Education and Disclosures to Learner
This educational activity has been developed by the American Psychiatric Nurses Association. It consists of a 1.25 hour online training module with active participant exercise and a 5.25 hour live educational training which covers the 9 APNA Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Essential Competencies for Assessment and Management of Suicide Risk.
Participants will complete an evaluation at the end of the program to assess the effectiveness of their learning. Participants who successfully complete the online training and full in-person training will receive two certificates (one for online module and one for in-person training) for participation in the full 6.50 contact hour program. The planners and presenters of this activity have no conflict of interest to disclose.
The American Psychiatric Nurses Association is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.