Specific Core Nursing Content # 13: Nursing Research
Clinical Learning Outcomes
- Critically appraise research studies.
- Utilize research findings in planning and evaluating nursing care.
- Disseminate research findings to colleagues, patients and families.
- Utilize research findings to evaluate clinical policies and procedures.
Classroom Teaching Strategies
- Relate the ANA (2015) Code of Ethics to research with vulnerable populations.
- Discuss research procedure in relation to psychiatric-mental health nursing.
- Qualitative vs Quantitative
- Institutional Review Board
- Informed Consent
- Discuss evidence-based practice in psychiatric-mental health nursing.
- Value the mental health organizations supporting nursing research.
- Research Study Critique
- Literature Review of a Mental Health Topic (peer reviewed journals)
- Review of Measurement Tools
- Concept Mapping of a Research Article
- Group Activity: Develop Mini Research Proposal
- Meet a Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Scientist (virtual)
- Identify mental health data bases for literature search
Clinical Teaching Strategies
- Grand Rounds: Pose a research question in relation to a clinical situation
- Pre/Post PMH Conference Topics : Informed Consents, Involuntary commitments, Mental health parity
- Ted Talks club
- Research article review - Students can choose from listed PMH journals
- ATI & HESI Assessment
- Research Presentation
- Poster Presentation of Research Findings- Assignment with rubric [see appendix 14]
Reflective Journal Prompts – Can also be used for online discussion board
- Pose a research question related to ethical dilemmas, evidence based best practice
- How did a research article help me choose an evidence based intervention?
- Reflect on the assigned research article and how the study results will impact the practice of psychiatric-mental health nursing.
- Discuss the ethical principles applicable to the assigned research study and how the human rights of the study participants were protected.
Clinical Skills Checklist
- Knowledge of evidence supporting clinical skill (Standard 9. Evidence-Based Practice)