Specific Core Nursing Content # 7: Health Care Settings
Clinical Learning Outcomes
- Describe available treatment options and community based resources.
- Plan and implement care in diverse settings including acute inpatient and community based settings of care.
- Analyze adequacy of care settings related to patient acuity and needs.
- Describe continuum of care and list at least 7 care settings within the continuum.
Classroom Teaching Strategies
- Review of history of care of the mentally ill.
- National and state issues in providing care.
- Challenges in providing care in the community and in rural areas.
- Issues and challenges in providing in-patient care.
- Mental health care examined in relation to access, cost and quality of care issues
- Organization and delivery of care within the clinical location.
- Examination of the prognosis for client, plan for discharge, and issues in their future care in a community setting.
- Have students develop pt discharge plan to include information about resources including location, cost, services, access/public transportation, waiting list, requirements, languages, etc.
- The Willard Suitcase Exhibit: This site offers a historical perspective on a state mental institution, with firsthand accounts provided by people who lived and worked there in the early 1900’s. Many photographs are used with description of some people who were committed to the Willard Asylum in 1869 – Willard Psychiatric Center in 1995, New York State. www.suitcaseexhibit.org/
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services.(2015a). The mental health parity and addiction
equity act. Retrieved from https://www.cms.gov?CCUO/Programs-andInitiatives/Other-Insurance-Protections/mhpae_factsheet.html.
Corbiere, M., Samson, E., Vilotti, P., & Pellitier,J.F. (2012). Strategies to fight stigma toward people with mental health disorders: Perspectives from different stakeholders. The Scientific World Journal 2012(3), 1-10. doi:10.1100/2012/516358
National Alliance on Mental Illness. (2016). Psychosocial treatments: Assertive community treatment. Retrieved from https:/ /wvvw.nami.org/learn-More/Treatment/Psychosocialtreatments
Ng, P., Chun, W.K., & Tsun, A (2012). Recovering from hallucinations: A qualitative study of coping with voices hearing of people in Hong Kong. The Scientific World Journal 2012(5), 1-8. doi:10.1100/2012/232619
- Developed during clinical practice to examine why client is in care, what the treatment plan is and what is their prognosis is.
- Linked to issues related to accessing care for the duration of their problem.
- Role play or Standardized Patient examining issues related to moving patient with chronic mental health problems into a community care facility.
Clinical Skills Checklist for this Concept
- Care planning for client discharge into the community. (Standard 4. Planning)
- Ability to assess correct placement of client in appropriate care facility. (Standard 5. Implementation)