General Tobacco Dependence / Smoking Cessation Resources
In a 2011 APNA member survey, 94% of respondents indicated that they did not smoke and 46% of those respondents were former smokers. - See more at: http://www.apna.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=6146&redirect=1#sthash.v2pQDiHM.dpuf
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Smoking & Tobacco Use
General links to basic information, tips, state and local resources, media & tools, downloadable graphs to use in your presentations, and more
- National Institute on Drug Abuse: Tobacco & Nicotine
Overview of facts & figures, links to educational articles, videos, publications, virtual office of Surgeon General, tips from former smokers, cost calculators, clinical trial, and more.
- Action to Quit: Advancing Tobacco Control Policy
Links to webinars, information on population health, publications, and myths vs. facts.
- Center for the Evaluation of Nicotine in Cigarettes (CENIC)
A collaborative effort by researchers from the University of Pittsburgh and University of Minnesota with the goal of determining how a reduction in the nicotine content if cigarettes impacts use and effects of tobacco.
- U.S. Food & Drug Administration: Tobacco
Information about FDA regulation of tobacco products, public health education, science and research, and more.
- Smokefree.gov: Resources for Healthcare Professionals
U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, National Institutes of Health, and National Cancer Institute collaboration which provides resources for healthcare professionals including downloadable materials, text messaging options, materials for distribution, evidence based programs, and much more.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services – Smokeless Tobacco and Your Health
Offers information about smokeless tobacco (ST) including health effects, news and resources, law and policy information, research, and downloadable posters and materials on ST, secondhand smoke, smoking and pregnancy.
- Quit Tobacco
An educational campaign for the U.S. military, sponsored by the U.S. Department of Defense, includes live chat, information, how to support others in quitting, sponsored events, and local support quitlines (searchable by state links).
- U.S. National Library of Medicine – Medline Plus: Smokeless Tobacco
A database of information regarding smokeless tobacco, including health risks, prevention, treatment, clinical trial, and journal articles.
- Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco
Access to links, funding opportunities, professional development, resources for researchers & the public. Increased resource access with paid membership.
- Association for the Treatment of Tobacco Use and Dependence (ATTUD)
Many links to free resources, paid membership increases ATTUD access to training, conferences, current literature (often publications ahead of print available), and more.
- Global Bridges: Healthcare Alliance for Tobacco Dependence Treatment
Hosted by Mayo Clinic, an organizations whose stated mission is to create and mobilize a global network of healthcare professionals and organizations dedicated to advancing effective tobacco dependence treatment and advocating for effective tobacco control policy. Membership fees required for increased access.