Message from the President
As the new president of the chapter I want to extend to you my gratitude and pleasure in being able to serve the psychiatric - mental health nursing community in Pennsylvania. I want to share some great news with you and I am encouraging you to participate and share your view of nursing as a profession and psychiatric mental health nursing as a specialty.
In response to the Institute of Medicines (IOM) Report on Nursing, Robert Wood Johnson and AARP combined forces to help the nursing profession work toward the recommendations in the report. Our state has been given a grant to form the Pennsylvania Action Coalition which is co-led by the PSNA. Our non nursing partner could not fulfill the ongoing responsibilities and therefore we are looking for another co-leader but that is not stopping us from going forward.
The Pennsylvania Action Coalition was established in 2011 and up until this time has laid the ground work. Now, there is an opportunity for all of us to get involved and make the psychiatric-mental health nurses voice heard.
Pleaseto go to the PSNA website and sign in to be a part of a Regional Action Coalition. Like the APNA Pennsylvania Chapter who has identified regions in the state for local psychiatric-mental health nurses, the Pennsylvania Action Coalition understands that in order to have nurses participate, it needs to be at the local level.
Thank you for supporting APNA and the PA chapter.
Regional Chairpersons Wanted
We are seeking enthusiastic and motivated persons to lead the Northeast, Harrisburg, and Reading/Lancaster Regions of APNA-PA. The Regional Chairperson must be an APNA member in good standing. The Regional Chairperson is a voting member of the APNA Pennsylvania Chapter Board of Directors. She/he is responsible for working with members in your region to develop local regional meetings, educational opportunities, regional events. All those interested are asked to send your name, contact information, a brief bio, and a brief statement on the direction that you envision your region and the chapter taking in the next 5 years. Anyone interested is asked to complete this information and send to Chapter Immediate Past President, Wendy N. Zubenko, EdD, MSN, RN, PMHCNS-BC at email@example.com.
Membership and Chapter Regions
Any APNA member who resides in Pennsylvania is automatically a member of the Pennsylvania Chapter. At present, there are no chapter dues. If you are interested in joining or renewing your membership, please see the Membership tab on APNA’s home page for more information about the application process and dues.
- Harrisburg – Harrisburg area including Adams, Cumberland, Dauphin, Lancaster, Lebanon, Perry, & York Counties.
- Lehigh Valley - Allentown/Bethlehem area including Berks, Carbon, Lehigh, Monroe, & Northampton Counties.
- Northeastern - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area including, Bradford, Lackawanna, Luzerne, Pike, Susquehanna, Wayne, & Wyoming Counties.
- Northwestern - Erie area including, Crawford, Clarion, Erie Forest, Lawrence, Mercer, Venango, & Warren Counties.
- Southeastern - Philadelphia area including, Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montegomery, & Philadelphia Counties.
- Southwestern - Pittsburgh area including Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Fayette, Greene, Washington, & Westmoreland Counties.
We are looking to develop regions in:
- East-Central – will encompass Columbia, Lycoming, Montour, Northumberland, Synder, Sullivan, & Union Counties.
- West-Central – will encompass Cambria/Blair area including Blair, Cambria, Centre, Clearfield, & Indiana Counties.
CNS Title Recognition Law
The Board of Directors of APNA-PA understand that there are many questions and concerns regarding the CNS Title Recognition Law (PA Act 49 of 2007) and the resulting State Board of Nursing Regulations.
These issues are being explored with the PA State Board of Nursing, the Pennsylvania State Nurses Association, & the PA legislature. We recommend that CNS practice follow the current RN law which is entitled "The Pennsylvania Nursing Law, Act of May 22, 1951, P.L.317, No 69." This document can be downloaded from the SBON site here.
Member Bridge Network