Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing: Scope & Standards of Practice
2022 Edition Now Available
Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing: Scope and Standards of Practice, 3rd Edition
For APNA Members: Scope & Standards eBook
A feature of APNA membership, this digital publication is only available to members. Please log in with your username and password to access it.
Order your print copy for $10 off the list price and free shipping*!
- Members: $28.95
- Nonmembers: $38.95
The Scope and Standards Revision Joint Task Force, composed of members from the American Psychiatric Nurses Association and the International Society for Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing, has revised and updated all sections of the document, including the definition of psychiatric-mental health (PMH) nursing, reorganization and expansion of the scope of practice section, and creation of a new Standard on Cultural Humility. The following lists some of the main changes/additions made in this 3rd edition:
- Expanded focus on population health, the social determinants of health/mental health, and inclusion of these factors in PMH nursing assessment
- Expanded review of disparities/inequities in PMH care
- Recognition of substance use disorders as psychiatric disorders and the need for all PMH nurses to be competent in providing the full range of care
- Identification of new/expanded roles for PMH RNs/APRNs (e.g. integrated care, telehealth care)
- Completely updated references and glossary terms
- Creation of a PMH Nursing timeline graphic from 1882-2020
A draft of the updated scope and standards was made available for public comment through January 18, 2021.