APNA Charge for Councils
To be thought leaders for the American Psychiatric Nurses Association.
- Conduct external environmental scans
- Suggestion: Designate a member of your Advisory Panel to set up a Google alert for a specific term and monitor it.
- Conduct internal Council assessments and discussions to identify member needs within your Council’s subject area(s).
- Suggestion: Create 3-6 questions for dissemination to your Advisory Panel and send to for development into an online survey.
- Synthesize information: information gathered from environmental scans, from Member Bridge conversations, etc.
- Suggestion: Create talking points which the Board can approve and then be disseminated to the membership.
- Provide accurate information to inform conversations
- Suggestion: Designate a couple of members to post on the All-Purpose Discussion Forum links and resources available in the public arena to inform discussions related to your Council’s subject area(s).
- Suggestion: Submit an abstract via the online submission site for a session or poster to be presented at the APNA Annual Conference.
- For larger issues involving widespread confusion: Contact the Board to suggest an all-member communication from the President to correct misinformation being posted.
- Monitor content of website to ensure that it is up-to-date and aligned with APNA’s strategic direction (mission, core purpose, envisioned future).
- Recognize Council members for their achievements
- Suggestion: For someone who has contributed to the literature through a published article, interview, etc., cross-post a link of their work (or acknowledgement of their work) to the All-Purpose Discussion Forum and your Council’s Advisory Panel. Please also send a copy to our communications team for inclusion in Members’ Corner ( ).
- Suggestion: Post on the All Purpose Discussion Forum a congratulatory note to an APNA Award Recipient who is a part of your Council.
- Build an Enduring Structure – Identify and mentor promising new leaders
- Suggestion: Make sure all Steering Committee members (at least) are enrolled as a mentor or mentee (or both) in APNA’s Mentor Match program.
- Suggestion: Post a message to your Advisory Panel encouraging use of the Mentor Match tool and informing them of your availability to form a mentoring relationship.
- Suggestion: Succession planning – Create a 3-5 year plan that will continue beyond the current chair.