APNA Board of Directors Student Scholarship
Nursing students gain valuable exposure to the psychiatric-mental health nursing profession and kick start their leadership development through this unique scholarship program. These scholarships include:
- Registration and travel/lodging* to attend the APNA Annual Conference
- One year complimentary membership in the APNA
- Access to mentoring and networking opportunities to connect with psychiatric-mental health nurses around the country.
Congratulations to the 2021 APNA Student Scholars!
*APNA is committed to delivering education to conference attendees in a safe environment, whether in-person and/or virtually. Travel and lodging expenses will be included if an in-person conference is held.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
If applying as a GRADUATE Student:
- At the time of nomination, be a full-time or part-time graduate student enrolled in an accredited nursing program leading to a Master’s or Doctoral degree in nursing with an emphasis on psychiatric-mental health nursing. Options available for “Type of Graduate Program” in the application: Master’s in PMHN, Non-PMHN Master’s Program, Post Master’s PMHN Certificate Program, Doctoral Program, Other
If applying as an PRELICENSURE/UNDERGRADUATE Student:
- Be a full-time student enrolled in a state-approved nursing program leading to licensure as a Registered Nurse (Associate Degree, Diploma, Baccalaureate, Accelerated/2nd degree) at the time of nomination. Students who will graduate in Spring 2020 are also eligible. Prelicensure/Undergraduate students need to express an interest in psychiatric-mental health nursing.
For BOTH Graduate and Prelicensure/Undergraduate Applicants:
- Have not previously received an APNA Student Scholarship.
- Have completed more than 50% of the total credits required for graduation.
- Have a minimum grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale).
- Have a letter of nomination/recommendation from an APNA member (Program Director / Nominating Faculty / Nurse Professional) which speaks to the nominee/applicant’s interest and/or performance in psychiatric-mental health nursing.
- Must meet all travel requirements and participate in the APNA 34th Annual Conference, September 30-October 3 in Lake Buena Vista, FL
- Sign the necessary release forms.
- Provide post-conference evaluation of the program.
- Participate in an APNA project (details will be provided to scholarship recipients).
There is no limit on the number of students who can apply from your school. However, APNA reserves the right to limit the number of scholars selected per institution.
The Application Walkthrough Tutorial is a guide to what is entailed in submitting your application.
While applying for the APNA Board of Directors Student Scholarship, students may also opt in for consideration for an industry-sponsored scholarship. The industry-sponsored scholarship will also cover registration for the virtual APNA Annual Conference and a year of membership in APNA.
Through the new APNA Industry Partner Program, companies have the opportunity to partner with APNA by providing a year-long sponsorship. Top tier sponsorships include this scholarship.
Please note: Opting in for consideration for this scholarship will not impact eligibility for the APNA Board of Directors Student Scholarship. Applicants are responsible for determining if your employment, school, financial aid, etc, will allow you to accept industry-sponsored funds.