APNA President Position Description
The President serves as the principal elected executive officer of the association and in general supervises and controls the activities of the board of the directors.
In addition to the responsibilities of all members of the Board, the President:
- Assumes responsibility for achievement of the mission, program and financial objectives
- Ensures the effective functioning and accountability of the board in fulfilling its responsibilities
- Works in partnership with the executive director on developing a strategic planning process which positions the association strategically within the health care arena and specialty
- Provides direction and guidance to members of the board and evaluates their performance
- Mentors the President-Elect and other members of the board and prospective leaders
- In conjunction with the board of directors, evaluates the Strategic Plan on an ongoing basis
- Presides at meetings of the board and the membership as well as other association forums and ensures business is conducted in compliance with the bylaws
- Coordinates development of the board and Annual Meeting agendas with the executive director and works to ensure meeting objectives are met
- Serves as a member of the finance committee
- When feasible attends annual Nursing Organization Alliance Leadership forum and annual meeting with executive director and President-Elect and other meetings as may be required.
- Represents and serves as primary spokesperson for the association (in coordination with the executive director)
- Provides clear measurable performance objectives for the executive director, evaluates his/her performance and recommends compensation for board approval
- Approves all committee members other than those committees whose membership is defined by the bylaws or elsewhere in these Governance Policies
- Recommends for board approval, Chairs & Associate-Chairs for all committees other than other for than those committees whose membership is defined by the bylaws or elsewhere in these Governance Policies
- Selects the theme for the APNA Annual Conference
- Selects keynote speakers for the APNA Annual Conference within the approved budget.
- Appoints members to represent the association at various meetings and functions
- In collaboration with the executive director, models the partnership philosophy between board and staff
- Directs the board in creating policies, programs and initiatives that will further the mission and priorities of the association
- Prepares and presents periodic reports to the membership and other key stakeholders on the state of the association
- Maintains a current knowledge of global trends and developments influencing APNA and all APNA programs, products and services
- Motivates and inspires the board, association leaders and staff
- Avoids conflicts of interest and promptly notifies the executive director if a potential conflict arises.
Must be a voting member in good standing for at least one year immediately prior to assuming office.
Demonstrated leadership skills and previous APNA volunteer leadership service are preferred.
Knowledgeable about global trends and issues influencing the association and the association’s programs, projects and services
Experience with strategic planning and budgeting
Understands and can interpret, analyze and explain financial statements
Understands applicable operating ratios and can evaluate the association’s performance relative to association standards
Excellent written, oral communication and presentation skills
Informal and formal leadership experience
Participative leadership style
Demonstrated problem solving and ethical decision-making experience
Excellent time management and organization skills
Conflict resolution and negotiation skills
Ability to work with diverse styles and personalities and facilitate teamwork and consensus
Works well under pressure and is good on his/her feet