National Suicide Prevention Month & National Recovery Month
De-Stigmatizing Seeking Treatment and Fostering Hope
“De-stigmatizing is the work of conventionalizing mental health and wellbeing, conventionalizing seeking treatment for mental disorders, and conventionalizing the idea that ‘it’s ok not to be ok, and that it’s ok to receive treatment when you’re not ok’.”
– APNA President Chizimuzo Okoli
Free contact hours for members through October 4:
2023 APNA Clinical Psychopharmacology Institute Keynote:
The Shocking Truth and Regulatory Implications of Job-Related Problems Associated with Suicide Among Healthcare Professionals
Judy E. Davidson, DNP, RN, MCCM, FAAN
For RN & APRN; 1.25 contact hours
“This was one of the best presentations I have ever heard. It was informative, compelling, and ignited many emotions…I cannot say enough how much she moved and inspired me”
New & Coming Soon from APNA:
- NEW EDUCATION & UPDATED RESOURCE TO SUPPORT RECOVERY
- New & FREE 8-Hour Medications for Substance and Opioid Use Disorders Training empowers nurses to expand access to medications for substance use disorders, including buprenorphine for opioid use disorders. It also meets the DEA educational requirement for Schedule III authority.
- Updated Ketamine Infusion Therapy Treatment Considerations Checklist provides important information for prescribing/administering this therapy, which has been shown to benefit certain individuals with mental health disorders such as major depressive disorder (MDD), bipolar disorder, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- UPCOMING POSITION ON YOUTH SUICIDE PREVENTION: The APNA Board of Directors has formed the Youth Suicide Prevention Position Workgroup to create an APNA position paper that holistically addresses the issue of youth suicide prevention and the role of the psychiatric-mental health nurse in it. APNA Child & Adolescent Council Chair Jamie Zelazny is the chairing the workgroup.
- UPCOMING SUICIDE PREVENTION CERTIFICATE PROGRAM: An updated, convenient, and interactive APNA Competency Based Training for Suicide Prevention will be released in early 2024! The training will be an online, on-demand certificate program and will reflect the most current evidence and best practices.