This position is responsible for assisting the president and overseeing other duties as assigned by the president or the board. In the absence of the president, the president-elect performs the duties of the president, and when so acting, has all the powers of and is subject to all the restrictions upon the president. The president-elect year serves as an orientation for the upcoming year as president.
Serves one year as president-elect. The president-elect automatically succeeds to the presidency following the one-year term as president-elect and subsequently immediate past president.
In addition to the responsibilites of all members of the board, the president-elect:
- Assumes the role and functions of the president in his/her absence
- Presides at board meetings in absence of the president
- Serves as a member of the finance committee
- Prepares for board approval the Annual Board Work Plan for his/her term as president.
- Attends annual Nursing Organization Alliance Leadership forum and annual meeting with executive director and president and other meetings as may be required
- Represents association as assigned
- Mentors current and prospective board and committee members
- Avoids conflicts of interest and promptly notifies the executive director if a potential conflict arises.
- Must be a voting member in good standing for at least one year immediately prior to assuming office.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and previous APNA volunteer leadership service are preferred.
- Knowledgeable about global trends and issues influencing the association and the association’s programs, projects and services
- Experience with strategic planning and budgeting
- Understands and can interpret, analyze and explain financial statements
- Understands applicable operating ratios and can evaluate the association’s performance relative to association standards
- Excellent written, oral communication and presentation skills
- Informal and formal leadership experience
- Participative leadership style
- Demonstrated problem solving and ethical decision making experience
- Excellent time management and organization skills
- Conflict resolution and negotiation skills
- Ability to work with diverse styles and personalities and facilitate teamwork and consensus
- Works well under pressure and is good on his/her feet
- Experience mentoring future leaders
- Demonstrates flexible work habits
- Willing to commit the time and skills necessary to fulfill the expectations of the role.
- Sets and maintains high standards for personal performance
- Available to travel to APNA board meetings, annual conference and other APNA or allied organization meetings as may be required.
- Experienced with public speaking
- Formal management experience preferred.